and loving it
RESTRICTED VISITING - NAMING & BOOKING TIMES REQUIRED
Every day is an opportunity for continued growth, wellbeing and meaningful experience
Each crease on your face tells a story of rich experience that goes with a life well lived. Knox Home gives you the opportunity for that story to well and truly continue – because aging is less about decline and more about continuing to grow.
At our place there’s a little more understanding and care. There’s more companionship and joy. There are more new opportunities and worthwhile experiences to enjoy. Knox allows you to share in our busy community and simply relish more living.
Welcome to your place.
We are a little alternative
Knox is a care home and hospital in Epsom, Auckland for elders and younger adults who live with physical disability.
As a Charitable Trust with over 100 years of service to the Auckland community, Knox has never forgotten that our service to the community is about people.
In 2009 we adopted the Eden Alternative, a philosophy of care dedicated to placing elders at the centre of all we do. Eden Alternative principles uniquely guide us to transform the lives of our residents and team.
Every day is a gift. Our mission is to make sure we add more to the fulfillment and enjoyment of every single one.
Your health condition needn't define your life
Discover our Care Studios, where focused, supportive health care, comfortable surroundings and new opportunities are yours.
Elizabeth Knox Home and Hospital
以独特的Eden Alternative 理念为更多长者提供服务。
Good care for the good life
Summary of 80 residents surveys
COVID-19 LEVEL 2
Named and Booked Visiting Only
Given what we know about how easily Covid-19 can be spread by a casual contact, and with the continued community transmission in Auckland, we are taking a very cautious approach to our Level 2 Restricted Visiting system. We know restricted visiting is less than what everyone wants in terms of time and frequency, but our primary goal is to keep residents safe. Limiting the number of people and the time spent with residents helps to reduce risk of transmission. We are therefore further limiting the number of people visiting Knox by changing to a “Named and Booked” visitor policy. Every resident will now have two named people who may visit in the following way:
• Visiting is restricted to two named visitors per resident.
• Named visitors will need to BOOK a time to visit (see column two for how to do this)
• Two visits per resident per week by the named visitors can be forward booked. In the case of couples who share a room it will be two visits per room per week.
• Please work out with your family who the named visitors will be and the day and times the visits will be made.
• Visits are limited to 60 minutes maximum.
• Please be on time for your visit (there will be set start and finish times). If you are late you cannot get extra time.
• Only up to two people at a time per resident/room.
• No one under 12 years of age.
• You must wear a mask at all times, including when in the resident’s room. Please bring your own mask and ensure it is clean and on when you enter Knox.
• Go straight to the resident’s room and remain there for the duration of the visit.
• Maintain at least 2 metre distance.
• No kissing or hugging.
• You must use the NZ Government COVID Tracer App and sign the entry sheet before visiting.
• A health screening question will be asked before you can enter.
• Stay home if you are unwell or if you are a close or casual contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or if you are in any way associated with a cluster.
• Staff will contact family about visiting in special circumstances such as serious illness.
STAY AWAY IF YOU ARE UNWELL
Here's how to book your visit
• Every day there are booked visiting times available between
10am and 11am and then from
2pm to 4pm.
• To book please email:
Please use only this email address for bookings and make your request as soon as possible.
• Please head the email subject line: Visitor Booking
• Please state the following:
- Your name.
- The name of the person/couple you wish to visit.
- The two named visitors for this family
- What two days you prefer to visit on.
- Whether you prefer morning or afternoon on those days.
Name of Visitor: Joan Smith
Name of Resident: John Brown
Two named visitors for this resident
Visitor Email Address:
Visitor Phone Number:
• We will confirm your visiting times as soon as possible. Please be understanding if you do not get your exact choice of day or time. We will do our best to fit everyone in.
• If you do not have access to email, please phone Reception 09 523 3119 extension “0” between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday to make a booking. Whenever possible please do use email. If you know of friends or family members that might not be on our email list, and who regularly visit, please pass this information onto them.
Resident outings discouraged
We strongly recommend that residents remain within Knox Home in order to limit their contact with the general public. While community transmission in Auckland remains, we wish to avoid the consequences of just one resident bringing the COVID-19 virus or other respiratory illnesses into the Knox Community. Even with a non-COVID-19 infection, residents will need to be placed in isolation for 14 days and symptomatic staff will not be able to come to work. If a resident tests positive for COVID-19 the whole of Knox will need to again be closed to all visitors. We therefore request your careful consideration of the wider Knox community before requesting an outing for your family member or friend.
• Short outings during the day are by pre-arrangement with the RN of the home.
• Overnight visits to a family member’s home will need to be pre-arranged with the RN of the home and a form will be signed, acknowledging that the visit is happening against the advice of the Knox Team and with an awareness of the consequence if the resident develops respiratory symptoms
• Please ensure that, at the time of the visit, no one in your household or visiting your household has any symptoms of a cold, cough, or sore throat, and that all the restrictions of Auckland’s Level 2 are followed.
Distance Visiting between 10am - 11am and 2pm – 4pm remains an option in the specified visiting points.
Distance Visiting must be at a distance of at least 2 metres and occur in places where this distance can be maintained, please limit your visits to 30 minutes.
The only Distance Visiting locations you may use
• The main deck of Puriri Home (for Puriri residents) with family on the external footpath
• The main deck of Nikau Home ( for Nikau residents) with family on the external footpath
• The front window of the main lounge (residents of Totara, Rimu, Puka, Kowhai) – family on the footpath
• The front window of Weka Home (for Weka and Tawa residents) or the courtyard with family in the carpark
• You must not visit other outdoor areas of Knox as there are too many risks involved in random meeting points and other courtyards are being used by residents.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
The ladies in Tawa and Weka Homes have been pulling out the sewing machine and getting to work on face masks for those in need. Wonderful dedication and great skills put to valuable use.
Well done to you all.